Well, let me start by saying that you are not alone. If you are part of a conservative Asian culture like ours, girls feel too shy to mention the word, let alone admitting it. And yet behind closed doors they are battling guilt, confusion and shame.
So, is masturbation wrong?
Talk to the majority and they will tell you how it is common and it’s just a body urge. And after all, has not God put in that desire?
You see God created our bodies with the capacity to enjoy pleasure but the problem starts when we violate His set-boundaries and start seeking things before their right time (marriage).
Although the Bible never addresses masturbation directly, it addresses sexual immorality and lust many times.
Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body. You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body (1 Corin 6:18,20).
Heard of Monarch Butterfly?
It has bright orange and black wings and is very pretty. But it’s poisonous – for the birds and lizards looking to make a meal of it. The body of a monarch butterfly contains chemicals that make it taste bad—so bad that a bird may even vomit if it eats one. Further, it can even cause their hearts to beat out of control and die.
That’s how sin is – It looks pretty on the outside, but soon you will realise how destructive it can be.
Here is what you should know:
1. Masturbation is fuelled by toxic thoughts of lust (many times they come from pornography). Obviously, you are not thinking of a tree or sofa while masturbating! So, if the root of something is sinful, you can imagine its fruit.
2. It is addictive. Sooner or later, you will realise it will start mastering you till you cannot live without it. That’s how the sting of sin is. (No chain smoker smoked his first cigarette thinking that he will be addicted to it).
3. It can lead to further lead to depression, feelings of shame, guilt and even result in fornication.
Masturbate without lusting?
Even if you claim to masturbate without lusting, why go there? Why make yourself vulnerable to sin?
Rather than seeing how close we can get to the line of compromise without going over, our goal should be to do everything within our power to stay as far away from the line of sin as possible.
How to break free from Masturbation?
If you are crying out to God and genuinely seeking a breakthrough, God stands as your very present help. You don’t have to do what the world does. You are not called to fit in; you are set apart by God. That means your guiding principles in life has to be from the Word of God and not your friends or media.
1. First, dig deep in your heart and find out the root cause. What leads you to it? Is it loneliness? Lack of self-worth? Rejection? Remember you need to fill that void in your life by understanding what God’s Word says about it. Only God’s Word can heal you and set you completely free.
2. “It is out of my control” – If that’s what you are thinking, then let me tell you – That’s a lie! God has given you a spirit of power, love and self-control (2 Tim 1:7). There is no addiction that can match up to the power of Jesus. So, stop living as a victim of your sexual desire.
3. Check what triggers the habit. Is it vulgar movies, pictures or conversations of friends around you? Once you locate the source, run away from it. Delete those apps. Unfriend some people from your life. Be bold at the cost of being rejected by some of your friends.
4. Find someone to talk to and be accountable to. As hard as it may be, humble yourself and ask a godly woman to hold you accountable in this area. Proverbs 28:13 says, “Whoever conceals his transgressions will not prosper, but he who confesses and forsakes them will obtain mercy.”
5. Don’t be condemned and sulk when you fall into it. Ask God for forgiveness (hate it enough to take a U-turn to God) and rise up again. His grace is sufficient for you.
6. Focus less on your addiction, and more on pursuing Jesus. Trust me, when you taste more and more of Jesus and His goodness in your life, what the world offers will not attract you anymore.
Team Soar Girls
Sign up here to receive these free wallpapers directly in your mailbox
By signing up I agree to have my personal information transfered to Mad Mimi (more information)